The flight to San Fransisco was 5 hours and there was too much going on for Caleb and he did not sleep. He played, walked the aisles, and screeched for the sake of screeching. But in all was not too bad. Then we spent a few hours in the San Fransisco airport, mainly in the business lounge where I could send off an email to the family and Brian could eat some. Caleb still was running around like a maniac (it was 2am his time). The flight to Sydney had potential to be a lot better. The business class section was great, seats that lay completely flat and your personal t.v (it kinda reminded me of the pods on the plane in sex and the city 2) and Caleb fell asleep immediately. Buuuut, about 15 minutes later, we hear that the flight is going to be delayed, so our 14 hour flight turned into a 16 hour flight and Caleb was already asleep. He slept about 7 hours, woke up for about an hour and then slept another 2. He spent the last 6 hours walking the aisles, climbing the stairs (the business section was 2 levels) and playing. Since that flight was delayed, we only had about 1 + hours to get alllll of our luggage which was 6 large bags, stroller, a car seat, and 6 carry ons, go through customs, and get on the flight to Canberra. And of course the domestic flights are a 10 minute walk (for a normal person) across the airport. So here we are Brian is pushing a trolley with 7 bags with one hand and Caleb in the stroller with the other. I am pulling my enormous 70lb suitcase with one arm, and have 3 carry on bags, and the car seat with the other. So I am stopping every 2 minutes to adjust, brian is dropping f-bombs, and we are trying to go as fast as we can so we don't miss our connection. Luckily the Aussies are very efficient checking into flights and pulled people to the front of the line that had flights that were leaving shortly. So we made the flight. But by that time Caleb was done and had a meltdown on that plane (luckily it was only a 50 minute flight). I think I might have told Brian about 5 times I was never moving again so he better enjoy this one.
Our sponsor met us at the airport. He and his family have been great to us. They have cooked for us 3 nights, run to the grocery store for us before and after we arrived, taken Brian to work, and shown us around town really well. Only my large bag did not make it to Canberra, but it was delivered that night to the house.
Our house is wonderful! It has 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, it has a very large walk-in closet in the master bedroom, a spa tub in the master bath, a 2 car garage, and a really nice backyard for Caleb to play in.
It is a bit chilly here, it has been in the low 50's. The first 2 days we were here there were storms - just rain and strong winds, but apparently that has been the worst weather they have had in 12 years. So I guess that is good news for us.
Brian had to report to work immediately, so Caleb and I have been on our own. So we have been exploring our neighborhood. It is really nice. The scenery is beautiful, there are a good amount of trees and it is not overly built up the way that the DC/Baltimore area is. We face mountains on one side have a nature preserve right next to our community that we will explore soon. It has free ranging cows and kangaroos. We saw one of the kangaroos yesterday at the park across from the preserve. There are also a ton of birds here, cockatoos, parrots, magpies, and galas. They are all really pretty and very loud and apparently mean, during mating season the magpies will actually swoop at your head and bikers will wear spikes on their helmets to prevent attacks. Crazy!
Today we bought a car. I will be the main driver, taking Bri to work and back and driving around town. It was interesting driving on the left. But so far I have only hit the curb twice, and turned in the wrong lane once. Hopefully I will get used to it soon.
Wow, I just realized I have written a lot. So I will stop for now. I will try to start taking pictures soon. I really miss home, but it is exciting getting to know a new place!
One last story (at least for now :) In the Sydney airport we had to go through Aussie security as well. So we get to the x-ray and the security guards are helping us put all our luggage through the machine and the guard asks me if I have any bags on the pram. I look at him blankly and say "what is a pram?". He responds, "Are you from America?" I say "yes. . " and he goes "You are in Australia now, it is not a stooooooller, it is a pram, BLOODY YANKS!" I wonder how many more times I will be called a bloody yank?! haha
Love it Meghan! The first move is the hardest - it gets easier from there. Of course, I say that as a single person:)
ReplyDeleteI think it took about a year before I could speak "British". Now my American friends tease me because I can't say "pants" or "gas" - I have to say "trousers" and "petrol". It's all part of the fun. So glad to hear you guys made it and are getting settled.
Hey Meghan - so glad to hear you guys made it there safely. Don't worry, the moves get easier the more times you do it. Although, I haven't tried the moves with kids in tow:)
ReplyDeleteI think I was in England for about a year before I learned to speak "British". Now my American friends laugh at me because I still say "queue, trousers, and petrol" instead of "line, pants, and gas". It's all part of the fun! Can't wait to hear more of your adventures!
Sarah
loved reading this :) i didnt know you had sponsors, are they americans and aus too or native aussies? that's very helpful. love the story about the pram... just remember, torch, cozzies, sunnies, and thongs! ;)
ReplyDelete