Sunday, November 21, 2010

It was a typical week again. We were able to pick up Brian's car, so I only had to drive Brian to work Monday-Wednesday. Which was nice because on Friday Caleb slept in until 8am. The rest was pretty normal. Thursday we went to Questacon. We had not been since before we went to Thailand, so Caleb enjoyed going back. On Friday we went to Paint and Play, a free event on Fridays for toddlers. It has 10 or so stations that the kids can do; shaving cream play, pasta necklaces, crafts, playing with rice, musical instruments. Caleb enjoyed playing with the rice the best. We we got home I still had rice in my hair and clothes.
Yesterday we went to the Telstra Tower. It is a radio tower that looks over the city. I uploaded some pictures we took of it. Telstra is a phone company here that we also get our internet through. We hate them probably as much as we hated Comcast. There are always random charges on the bill that when Brian calls they say they are a 1 time charge. Plus our internet is very unreliable. It is always going out at random times and when we call their first question is "Did it rain recently?". Of course there are clear skies. So we stopped calling and hope that the internet does not go out when we are skyping.

So since I don't have much to talk about that happened this week, I thought I would talk about how Aussies shorten a ton of words and almost always with a y. I know Americans probably do it a lot too, but I feel like we do it in order to cut out syllables in order to make a word easier to say. Anyway, here are some examples.

Breakfast - brekky
Sunglasses - sunnies
biscuit - bicky
mosquitos - mossies
Christmas - Chrissy
cup of tea/coffee - cuppa (I know this one does not fir with the others)

I know there are more but my mind is a bit fuzzy and it seems to get worse at night. I will update it when I think of more.
In all it was a good week. This week is Thanksgiving. Like I said last week we have 2 families coming over. I went out today and bought what I needed. Here is the menu:

Turkey
Betty's wild rice dressing - but they don't sell wild rice here, so I am pretending that white and brown rice is wild rice :)
Nanny's broccoli casserole
Dinner rolls - I am going to attempt to make them from scratch, we will see if I give up and just buy some.
Mom's apple pie
Pumpkin bars

The other families are bringing ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and another dessert.

I figure if I make enough family recipes it will feel more like they are here celebrating with us :)
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Caleb doesn't look like a baby anymore!!!! He's a big boy now.
    We will definitely miss you at Thanksgiving.It just won't be the same

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with Thanksgiving, it sounds great! Love the "did it rain" question about your internet/phone service... strange!

    ReplyDelete