I just noticed my last blog was in November, so I better start updating! So here is what has been going on with us since then.
In the beginning of December Brian's parents came over for a visit, their 3rd time. They spent a few days here in Canberra while Brian was in Wellington (a huge help!!) and then we all flew together to meet up with Brian in New Zealand. The flight down was crazy. We almost missed our flight out of Sydney which we only made by running through the terminal. We did not realize that Air New Zealand made you pay for checked baggage, so we had to pay before they would give you a boarding pass, this of course took forever! With 10 minutes before the time to board we still had to go through security and get to our gate (Sydney is a very large airport). So once we got through security Betty, Marc, the boys and I took off. Marc had 3 bags, Betty had 1 bag, I was pushing Caleb in a trolley and holding Elias as we are all running and Caleb is screaming and crying "I don't want to be in a trolley!" I am sure we were quite a sight! But we did make the flight and were the last ones on the plane.
We spent a night in Christchurch and then flew to Queenstown where we rented a van and drove to Te Anau. We went to Milford Sound and then drove back to Queenstown. It is beautiful. I am so glad we made the trip together. We said good-bye to Marc and Betty at the Sydney airport. It was great seeing them again!
We had Christmas just the 4 of us but were able to skype with my family and Brian's family. It was kind of nice just having it on our own. Caleb was very excited this year. It was the first year he understood the holiday and was very excited for Santa to come! We had friends over on Boxing day (the 26th) to help us eat the turkey we got from Costco. It was huge, 19lbs and I got the smallest one they had!
New Year's Eve is not exciting for us anymore, so I will kind of skip it. Because we have small children who don't sleep in it is not worth staying up, so Brian and I were in bed by 10:30. I am sure the day will come when we will stay up again, but I don't think it will be anytime soon!
After the new year started we began potty training Caleb. This was our 3rd attempt and he was finally ready! It really only took a couple of days and he was done! I bought a great book on Amazon that Caleb really loved and that made all the difference. Plus he will be 3 next month.
Elias is 8 months now. He is trying very hard to be independent. He wants to feed himself and crawl, but he can't do either yet. I give him chucks of banana, puffs, and cheerios to feed himself, but he doesn't yet have the ability to eat other whole foods so mealtimes are a battle. We both get very frustrated. He is also trying very hard to move. He loves to stand, but cannot pull up yet. But he will hold on to my leg or the coffee table and try to cruise a bit. He also gets up on his knees and rocks. I think he will be crawling soon. He is sleeping 10-11 hours at night and recently went to 2 naps a day, each 1.5 - 2 hours. I am thankful for a good sleeper!
I joined a gym after the new year. I have wanted to in the past but the cost has always stopped me. But I am struggling with baby weight from Elias so I sucked it up and joined. My gym membership in MD was $29 a month. Here it is $100 a month. That does not include childcare, which is $5 per kid per session (each session is 2 hours). So I try to go when Brian is home or while they are in occasional care and at most put them in the creche once a week. I keep telling myself my health is worth the money.
Last weekend we went to Merimbula for MLK weekend. It is the 3rd beach we have been to here. The other beaches we went to were north of Canberra, whereas this one is 3 hours south. It was very beautiful. It was nice to get away for a few days. Caleb loves the ocean! He ran in and out of the water and built sand castles. Elias loved people watching while tasting the sand. A good time had by all :)
I will try to blog more soon!
In the beginning of December Brian's parents came over for a visit, their 3rd time. They spent a few days here in Canberra while Brian was in Wellington (a huge help!!) and then we all flew together to meet up with Brian in New Zealand. The flight down was crazy. We almost missed our flight out of Sydney which we only made by running through the terminal. We did not realize that Air New Zealand made you pay for checked baggage, so we had to pay before they would give you a boarding pass, this of course took forever! With 10 minutes before the time to board we still had to go through security and get to our gate (Sydney is a very large airport). So once we got through security Betty, Marc, the boys and I took off. Marc had 3 bags, Betty had 1 bag, I was pushing Caleb in a trolley and holding Elias as we are all running and Caleb is screaming and crying "I don't want to be in a trolley!" I am sure we were quite a sight! But we did make the flight and were the last ones on the plane.
We spent a night in Christchurch and then flew to Queenstown where we rented a van and drove to Te Anau. We went to Milford Sound and then drove back to Queenstown. It is beautiful. I am so glad we made the trip together. We said good-bye to Marc and Betty at the Sydney airport. It was great seeing them again!
![]() |
| The glaciers at Milford Sound, New Zealand |
We had Christmas just the 4 of us but were able to skype with my family and Brian's family. It was kind of nice just having it on our own. Caleb was very excited this year. It was the first year he understood the holiday and was very excited for Santa to come! We had friends over on Boxing day (the 26th) to help us eat the turkey we got from Costco. It was huge, 19lbs and I got the smallest one they had!
| Caleb Christmas morning, "Santa brought me cashews!" |
After the new year started we began potty training Caleb. This was our 3rd attempt and he was finally ready! It really only took a couple of days and he was done! I bought a great book on Amazon that Caleb really loved and that made all the difference. Plus he will be 3 next month.
Elias is 8 months now. He is trying very hard to be independent. He wants to feed himself and crawl, but he can't do either yet. I give him chucks of banana, puffs, and cheerios to feed himself, but he doesn't yet have the ability to eat other whole foods so mealtimes are a battle. We both get very frustrated. He is also trying very hard to move. He loves to stand, but cannot pull up yet. But he will hold on to my leg or the coffee table and try to cruise a bit. He also gets up on his knees and rocks. I think he will be crawling soon. He is sleeping 10-11 hours at night and recently went to 2 naps a day, each 1.5 - 2 hours. I am thankful for a good sleeper!
| Elias, 8 months, loves to stand! |
Last weekend we went to Merimbula for MLK weekend. It is the 3rd beach we have been to here. The other beaches we went to were north of Canberra, whereas this one is 3 hours south. It was very beautiful. It was nice to get away for a few days. Caleb loves the ocean! He ran in and out of the water and built sand castles. Elias loved people watching while tasting the sand. A good time had by all :)
I will try to blog more soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment