Monday was labor day so Brian was off. We went to the zoo and joined it so when it is warmer we can go as much as we want.
Tuesday was swim lessons. I thought it was going to go really well. Caleb ran to the pool and played so much before the lesson began. He was jumping in the water to me, splashing around, and walking deeper into the water. But once the lesson began he froze! He would not kick his legs, splash his hands, or do anything! It was like he had stage fright!
Wednesday we went to the library. Caleb also started another cold that day too! This is the 4th time he has gotten sick since we have moved. I am upset that he keeps getting sick. But the nurse at the embassy said that it is really common for kids to get sick a lot the first 6 months. The viruses and allergens are different here so they have to build up new immunities. I intellectually get it, but I am not happy about it!
Thursday our Aussie mum and bub came over. Caleb and the bub had a great time! He enjoyed showing them his books and toys!
Friday we had an embassy mom playdate. I got lost going there as normal since it was in the north (we live in the south, getting north of the city takes 40 or so minutes). Caleb and I had a nice time. But the other boy is 3 and did not understand why Caleb would not play his games with him or chase him. That evening we went to a dinner party with Brian's co workers. It was Mexican themed so we had good food! Caleb was also a hit, running around and dancing.
Today we are not doing much. We walked around a lake close to our house, about 5 minutes. The lake has a bunch of playgrounds around it, so we parked at one and walked to another. It is really pretty today and a lot of people were out!
Brian leaves for his first work trip since we have moved tomorrow. He will be gone for the week. So Caleb and I will be on our own. We have our usual things lined up. Plus our Aussie mum and bub friends have invited us over one night for a Turkish dinner. It is nice to have someone to call when we are feeling lonely!
We found out this week that our main shipment of household goods will not arrive to the country until mid October. Apparently it sat in Bmore for 2 months. It was extremely frustrating to hear! We got our air freight very quickly since we moved out of our house early. But that basically only had stuff for Caleb; his crib, toy box, toys, and a few clothes. I have been wearing the same 6 sweaters for 2 months and I am getting pretty sick of them!
So after our things arrive in the country they have to be quarantined and then sent down here. So it is looking like we will not have our stuff until the end of October.
After 2 months I am finally ready to make this our home. We have set up routines, made some friends, and are getting around pretty easily (despite getting lost every time we go to a new place:). It is hard because our house is so empty. All the walls are white and blank and almost nothing here is ours. Besides a bunch of toys there is nothing in the house that represents our family. I guess we will have to wait another 6 weeks (hopefully!) to give it some personality. Any suggestions to help make it feel more homey until we get our stuff?
Here are some pics of our walk today!
I say, either print out some family/friend photos if you have a printer or order prints from somewhere online, get a simple bulletin board or something similar and decorate your walls with that until your stuff comes! Is there a Marshalls-type place where you can get cheap art? Glad you had a good week!
ReplyDeleteWOW! The scenery there is beautiful! It's almost hard to believe that's Australia only because it's so far from the hot, dry outback that I envision! lol! I can't beleive how big Caleb's growing to be so soon. Miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteHome is where the heart is honey!
Pictures of the family is an excellent idea but print out nice ones and get them frames. Also, are you allowed to paint your walls? You can repaint them white when you leave but painting them warm colors that you pick will make it seem more your place. We moved around so much in the Army that when we finally settled my walls were anything but white. It really helps.
ReplyDeleteGo out and buy yourself a few shirts for spring. It will cheer you up and help now that your weather is warming up. It warms up fast over there. Good luck