I guess I will start at the beginning with the flight to Bangkok. I was super nervous about the flight and I think that Caleb picked up my nerves a bit. Before we left he was running around like crazy. But once the cab came we both calmed down. I cut out his nap since the cab came at 12:30. Caleb took a cat nap on the flight to Sydney and a little in the airport too. I tried to take as little as possible with me, so I had the diaper bag, stroller, and car seat. Luckily there were some chivalrous men who helped me carry the car seat. Then Caleb was really good on the flight to Bangkok. The lady across the aisle was really nice and switched places with us so we could have 3 seats to ourselves. He stayed awake for the first 3 hours and then slept for the rest of the 6 hours. So it went really well! We got in very late into Bangkok, Brian picked us up at the airport, and Caleb slept about 6 more hours.
The next 2 days we explored the city with Brian, we went to one of the malls, the grand palace, and the weekend market. Brian had to work Monday-Wednesday, so Caleb and I went to an aquarium, took a tour of one of the canals, and went to the pool. Bangkok is a nice city. Brian and I really enjoy city life, so we were happy to be in a big city. We felt safe there and it is really cheap to eat and get around there. The Thai people are also really nice there. Although a little too nice to Caleb. They seemed to be obsessed with him! The waiters would crowd around him and bring their friends over to see him. People on the canal tour changed their seats to be closer to him and stare at him. The cab drivers would turn around constantly to look at him. One cab driver I had to tell him 3 times to turn around because the light had changed. Plus in the Grand Palace people would crowd around him and take pictures of him. It was very odd to me, I actually posed with one woman with Caleb, so we are in some random woman's photo. Caleb was ok about it, he did not want to be picked up which I think is a really good defense mechanism, but he would give high 5's, wave, and blow kisses. I think by the time we left Bangkok he was happy to get away from all the attention.
Unfortunately we went during rainy season, so it rained every afternoon, and the city was pretty dirty because of it. Plus the sidewalks were awful so it was tough to push the stroller. But besides all the attention on Caleb and the rain, we really enjoyed being in Bangkok. We also got to meet up with my cousin Danny who is posted there. So it was really nice to see family! We also got to relax a bit, massages are very cheap there so I got a foot massage and Brian got a couple back massages. The massages were only $9 for an hour!
Late Wednesday night we went to Phuket. We stayed at a resort on the Andaman Sea. We were there for 2 days so we did not venture off the resort. We went to the beach and pool both days. The beach was not that great, it was filled with vendors, it was pretty narrow, and there was a pretty steep drop into the water. So we just let Caleb play in the sand for a bit. The resort also had a play area for kids, so Caleb really enjoyed playing in the ball pit and the playground. I also got a chance to take a Thai cooking class with the executive chef. It was really nice learn about Thai cooking and get away for a few hours. Brian was able to get another massage on the beach.
Unfortunately on Saturday afternoon we had to make our way back to Australia. Caleb did not fair as well this time around, but luckily Brian was there to help. Then we had a really hard time getting through the Sydney airport. For some reason they classified the umbrella stroller as oversized luggage, so we had to wait 30-45 mins for that to come through. Then we had claim the wood item at customs we bought at the weekend market. But there was no line, just a huge mass of people. By this point we were certain we were going to miss our Canberra flight so we went through express line and no one seemed to care. Luckily our Canberra flight was delayed so we made it. We arrived Sunday morning exhausted and happy to be home. Caleb and I both took long naps and I went to bed right after him that night too. Brian faired much better, I guess since he is more used to traveling.
In all, I am really happy we went. It was really fun exploring a new city and relaxing on a resort. Plus, I got to enjoy some of the things a big city imports that I don't get here, like Starbuck's, Auntie Annes, and a wider variety of food choices. Although we ate a lot of Thai food, I also had a good hamburger, pizza, steak, and risotto. Yum! We are thinking we might go to Wellington, New Zealand with Brian next. Hopefully he does not mind us tagging along!
It sounds like so much fun! You are so adventurous. I'm impressed how easily you adapted and did things on your own while Brian was working. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteHow amazing! Your pictures were incredible, I was laughing about all the attention on Caleb! I guess they've never seen a Caucasian American baby before? Just on tv?? Hysterical. I can totally see you telling the cabbie "turn around!" Glad you guys had a nice time - so envious of the cooking class!
ReplyDelete