Thursday, June 23, 2011

1st week alone

This was my first week of having the boys on my own during the day. My parents were here for 3 weeks and it was a great visit! We showed them around Canberra but also spend a good amount of time at home. They were so helpful! My dad played with Caleb and Caleb completely wore him out each night! My mom was so helpful with Elias. It really helped me recover from surgery. Plus it had been 10 months since I had seen them, so it was so good seeing them. 3 weeks was not long enough, I miss them so much already!
So Monday morning came and I was pretty nervous. I was starting to get the feeling that Elias had reflux. He was starting to show a lot of the signs that Caleb had when he had reflux as an infant. He will not sleep on his back during the day, when I put him on his back, no matter what the state of sleep he is in, he wakes up almost immediately. So, he wants to be carried all day, unless he is in his car seat. He also needs to be upright after a feed, or he will vomit. Also I notice he spits up a good bit, but will swallow it back down. So I was afraid that Caleb would not be ok with me holding Elias all day. Luckily Caleb has been wonderful! I have tried to keep to the same routine as before Elias was born (Monday - playgroup, Tuesday - Bible study, Wednesday - MOPS or library, Thursday - library if we don't go wednesday, Friday - free). He really enjoyed introducing everyone at playgroup to Elias. He also did really well at MOPS. When I told him we were going that morning, he cried and then cried again when I dropped him off. But luckily the Pastor of our church was in the toddler room and Caleb really enjoyed playing with him. I even heard him squealing from the other room! It was such a relief and an answer to prayer!
I took Elias to a GP on Tuesday to get medicine for the reflux and he gave me a prescription. So far I don't know how well it is working. I can put him down while he is awake in the bouncer or propped up on the boppy. But he still will not sleep on his back during the day. We go to the pediatrician on Monday for his 6 week check-up and if things still have not improved I might ask for a stronger medicine. I love my cuddle time with Elias, but holding him all day is really taxing.
Here is a picture of the 6 of us at the hotel in Sydney before my parents left. Also a picture of Caleb and Elias. Caleb really loves Elias! he is really sweet with him and includes him in almost all parts of his day, making sure he goes everywhere we go and doing all we do! In the picture he is making Elias wave at the camera :) The last is Elias (5 weeks) - almost smiling it was after a sneeze. I think a real smile is not too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment