Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Preschool Process

Brian and I knew one of the biggest challenges we would have in this post as compared to Australia is having a school aged child.  We left Australia right before Caleb started preschool.  He and Elias did go to a drop in center that had some preschool activities that I really liked.  But Caleb's first true preschool was in Olney.  He had a wonderful year there! I loved his teachers and he easily made friends with the other children in his class.
When we first learned of our housing assignment the first thing we did was see what preschools were close.  The embassy puts out a list of schools that other embassy members have used.  We found about 3 that were close so I emailed them to see if there was space.  There was in each school.  So I felt good about it!  Then 3 weeks before the move and 1 week before pack out we were assigned different housing.  The new apartment was 27 streets south of our old apartment.  So all of the schools I had contacted now we could not go to.
I really want to walk Cakeb to school this year.  The English speaking elementary schools are all far and he will have to take a bus.  So for this year I really wanted to walk.
I found 3 schools that were close to walk.  But I could only get in contact with one of them and they said there was space, phew!  So I filled out the application and was feeling ok.
Ok, about preschools here.  They are called "jardin"(garden).  They are all Spanish speaking.  They all start at 18 months of age and go through age 5.  They are all 5 days a week.  Some are half days some are full.  They are all very different!
When we arrived, I called the school that had space to go see it.  I hired a driver since it had 2 locations and the closer location was being renovated.  The boys and I took the tour and at the end the lady said, "I will call you next week to tell you if we have space."  I was pretty upset.  If there was no space than why did I take the tour?  Also what was the point of me filling out the application?
So the search began for a new preschool.  1 week before school started I called the 2 other preschools.  One was a creative arts school and the other followed the Reggio Emilio model, which the kids learn through projects.  It was a tough decision, we knew an American girl that would be in Caleb's class at the arts school, but the class size was really big, 20 kids to 2 teachers, it was a pretty far walk, and I just did not think it was the best fit for Caleb.  So we decided on the Reggio Emilio school.  It is just a 10 minute walk.  For now it is half day, but when he is adjusted, his Spanish improves, and we think he is ready he will do 8:30-2:30.  He will be able to go swimming every Tuesday, gym twice a week, art twice a week, and music once a week.
Today was his first day and I think it went well.  I prepped him with a few key phrases, "puedo ir al bano" (can i go to the bathroom), "ayudame por favor" (help me please), his teacher's name, and "gracias".  There were no tears on his end.  I got a little teary as I left.  His teacher said he did well.  He said he was nervous at first, but thenwas ok.  He talked about playing outside and when I asked if he wanted to go back tomorrow he said "yes"
Caleb is ready to go wearing a new shirt from his preschool!

Ready to walk to school!
.
I am feeling optimistic.  But I know it might be a tough transition.  Hopefully he will make some frinds soon and start picking up Spanish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment