We have been in Bogota a little over a week now and I thought I would start to write my initial impressions of the city and people.
The first is the reaction we get to having 3 kids. At first I was not sure if people were so surprised that it was 3 kids or 3 boys, hijos in Spanish means both children and male children. Every time I leave the apartment with the boys I get at least 3 comments, either to me or about me. I finally asked a lady the other day and she said that most Colombian women are going back to work, so having more than 2 children is a lot. It also costs a lot to have children here. If you want them to have a good education you have to send them to private schools which are hugely expensive.
That being said, after the look of surprise and "tres hijos?!" people (men and women alike) are very sweet about it. Normally it is followed up with , "preciosos", "carinosos", "bellezas", "lindos", etc. Colombians love children! Men and women, love to smile and talk to our kids.
The other weird thing is we always get asked if they are twins. Which I don't get at all, I think my boys look their age, so how a 4 year old and 2 year old or 2 year old and 7 month old could be twins is beyond me. But I think it goes back to why would you choose to have 3 separate kids, if you have twins it is by chance.
Anyway, I have often felt like the Duggar family here. People in the States don't blink at 3 kids. But here we might as well have 19!
The first is the reaction we get to having 3 kids. At first I was not sure if people were so surprised that it was 3 kids or 3 boys, hijos in Spanish means both children and male children. Every time I leave the apartment with the boys I get at least 3 comments, either to me or about me. I finally asked a lady the other day and she said that most Colombian women are going back to work, so having more than 2 children is a lot. It also costs a lot to have children here. If you want them to have a good education you have to send them to private schools which are hugely expensive.
That being said, after the look of surprise and "tres hijos?!" people (men and women alike) are very sweet about it. Normally it is followed up with , "preciosos", "carinosos", "bellezas", "lindos", etc. Colombians love children! Men and women, love to smile and talk to our kids.
The other weird thing is we always get asked if they are twins. Which I don't get at all, I think my boys look their age, so how a 4 year old and 2 year old or 2 year old and 7 month old could be twins is beyond me. But I think it goes back to why would you choose to have 3 separate kids, if you have twins it is by chance.
Anyway, I have often felt like the Duggar family here. People in the States don't blink at 3 kids. But here we might as well have 19!
Haha that is so funny - and cute! At least they're sweet about it after their shock has worn off. Can't wait to hear more! Post pictures soon!
ReplyDelete