Saturday, August 7, 2010

Our week and funny signs

In response to my boring blog update last week I really tried to be on the look out for interesting differences between American and Australian culture. There are definitely a good amount of differences. The most obvious is driving, of course we drive here on the left side of the road. The Aussies also love speed traps, Canberra is full of speed cameras, ones that are mobile and stationary. They are very clearly labeled and tell you about 3 time before you see the camera. They also have a campaign of signs against drinking and driving and talking on the phone and driving. Here are some of my favorites on the side of the road:
Drink Drive Die in a ditch
No Seatbelt No Brains
You're not that special, hang up the phone
Telstra Optus Vodafone (cell phone companies) Won't pay 4 your funeral
Shut Up and Drive, It's the Law
On the phone? You're an Idiot
There is one that changes daily close to our home that I always look forward to seeing!

The week was pretty "normal" or what normal has become for us. Monday was the embassy playgroup. Many were sick this week so it was smaller which was nice.
On Tuesday we went to Questacon, a science museum for children. Most of it is geared for older children but they have an area for 0-6 year old children. It has mini cars for them to sit in, a building area with huge blocks, a space ship, a space room, a large water table, a huge climbing area, and imaginative play area. Caleb loved it and threw a fit when we were leaving!
Wednesday we went to the library, got a library card and saw some of the kids from the Monday playgroup.
Thursday was our playdate with the Aussie mum and bub. That afternoon I went to a talk about early literacy skills for 12-24 month bubs. It was really good! The speaker had wonderful activities and gave me a lot of good ideas to do with Caleb. Here is his website. http://toddlericon.pbworks.com/
The Aussie mum from our playdate looked after Caleb for me. He and his little friend had a great time. It was really nice getting out of the house even if it was learning about Caleb!
On Friday Caleb and I went to a session that Mr. Jim (the early literacy guy) had. Caleb was not in the best mood, so it did not go as well as I would've liked, but I am glad we went. On Thursday Caleb woke up with a cold, it is not too bad, just a runny nose but his molars are still coming in also, so that is mainly why he was not in a good mood.
Today Brian really wanted to get out of the house and do something. We were planning on going to a nature reserve with a lot of animals, but I did not think it would be good for Caleb's cold to be outside a lot. So we went back to Questacon, so Brian could see how much fun Caleb had there and so we could get a membership. Now we can go as much as we want. Caleb had a great time again!
Tomorrow we will try out another church. There are 2 more that we have seen online that we are thinking of visiting, a Lutheran church and another Baptist. We are really hoping we can find a church home soon.
Next week we start swim lessons! I am really excited about that, hopefully Caleb's cold will be better so we can go! Beyond that it looks like the norm :)
Next week I will talk about the elections going on, it is pretty entertaining too. But I did not want to use up all my funny stories in 1 blog :)
We love and miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love the sounds of those road signs - especially the "you're not that special" one, priceless! At my first job with the non-profit group, they were constantly on American lawmakers to model the Aussie ways of prevention for drinking/driving - I guess those signs are doing something right! :) Glad to hear Caleb enjoyed his playtime, sounds cute!

    ReplyDelete