Sunday, August 29, 2010

A tough start but good end!

The only way I can describe this week is disjointed. It did not start well at all. Caleb spiked a 101 fever Sunday night that continued through Wednesday afternoon. On Tuesday I took Caleb to the dr to see if they could find a reason for the fever. He has had fevers like this in the past so it is not entirely new, but still scary that once the motrin wears off it spikes back up to 101+. There is universal health care here and to put it nicely it stinks! We were lucky to get an appointment. We got there on time and then waited 30+ minutes to see the dr. The dr did the usual things, checked his ears, throat, lungs, ect, asked about the fever. Then said if it was still around on Friday to bring him back and then rushed us out of the office. We were in there for 5 minutes! He also said there was no medical proof to treat a fever (hmm I think my baby feeling better, being able to play, ect. is reason enough!). The dr followed us out of the office and called another patient in. Everyone we have talked to here has had the same experience. There are not enough General Practitioners so they rush people in and out! Luckily the fever did break so we did not have to go back. And hopefully Caleb will stay healthy so we don't have to do that again!
So that sums up Sunday-Wednesday. We stayed at home.
Thursday Caleb was back to his normal self so we met our Aussie mum and bub at Questacon. They had a good time but it was a bit crowded and Caleb got a bit roughed up from the older kids. So we cut it short, had coffee, and let the kids run around in the lobby.
Friday we had a make-up swim lesson, since Caleb was sick on Tuesday. It went well, Caleb is getting more used to the water and I think opening up a bit more to the idea of swimming.
Yesterday was a beautiful day so we went into the city to Lake Burley Griffen and walked around and then went to the fresh food market. It is starting to warm up a bit, now in the low 60's a few days a week. So hopefully we will be spending more time outside.
Today we went back to a church we had previously visited. They have a nursery for part of the service so I was able to enjoy the sermon. The Pastor is good and they have a playgroup on Wednesdays at the church, so we might check it out this week.
This week is looking normal. Our Monday playgroup is at a mum's house. She lives out in the country about 40 minutes from here on a sheep farm. So we will be able to see sheep sheared. I am not looking forward to the drive, but I think it will be neat to see how they live!

I have already complained about one aspect of Aussie culture today, and I was going to write about driving to new places, but that is also awful. So I will write about that another day and will focus on the positive. Caleb!
I am starting to enjoy being a stay at home mom. Caleb still drives me crazy now and then, ok there is probably a moment daily that I get angry at him. But in all I love spending time with my little guy. He has really developed a lot since we have moved. He is saying a lot more words; hot, again (his favorite!), eat, read, open, down, out, koala, stuck, snack, and he has learned the signs for please and thank-you. John, Kim, and Madi gave him 2 stuffed koalas before we left that he has begun playing with. He will hug and kiss them, feed them his snack and give them them drinks of milk. It is nice to see a more nurturing side to my rough and tumble boy! But as with everything else, when he is done with them he throws them across the room. He is also playing more with other children and is learning to share (kind of). He is also learning how to be a good helper and will help me clean up his toys and put his books on the book shelf.

Some things have stayed the same. He still loves to read books. He brings a book to me to read constantly throughout the day saying "book, reeeeeeeeea!". He still loves to take naps, when I ask him if he is ready to take a nap, he runs to his crib and points to it. His favorite foods are still cheerios, goldfish, peas, and corn. He still calls everything Elmo. And his favorite person is still daddy. Whenever we go head toward the garage, he says "dada dada" and in the afternoon when he feels it is time to go pick up Brian from work, he will bring me his shoes and say "dada?". He gets very rambunctious at night and loves to wrestle with Brian, chase him through the house, and do silly dances with him. Caleb still has his temper and when he is angry with me will either hit me or throw whatever is in his hand at me. I am afraid this will get worse before it gets better. But that is life with a toddler right?! In all, I am so blessed to have Caleb and spend this time with him! I love my silly, goofy boy!

1 comment:

  1. adore this update - and picture! :) xxx (<--have you seen that yet? aussie/uk version of xoxo.. guess they dont believe in the o's part!)

    ReplyDelete