Saturday, August 14, 2010

The week from . . .

This has been our toughest week yet here. It seemed like everything that could go wrong did. So here it goes.
Monday was ok and to be honest I don't remember much about it since the rest of the week was so bad. All I remember is that we went to our normal playgroup. I also made roast pork for the first time and it turned out well.
Tuesday is when things started going south. I was very excited to start swim lessons. Caleb loved the pool at Marc and Betty's house and beach house so I thought he would love the pool here too. He proved me wrong. The swim lesson was very well done, the instructor did a lot of activities that were age appropriate with a lot of singing. But Caleb was not feeling it and cried the first 10 minutes (the lesson is 30 minutes). Then the instructor threw out balls that the kids were to swim too (with mom's help) and bring back, he liked that and seemed to cheer up some after that. Caleb is also the clear beginner, all the other kids could blow bubbles, kick, paddle, and jump from the side of the pool to mom in the water. So we have some work to do. I think that next week I will go early and play in the water with him to get him used to it before the lesson. When we got back to the house it was nap time, so after changing him, I put him down. He decided only to take 1 1/2 hour nap, which is a good bit shorter than normal. Then in the afternoon he was playing and yanked the t.v. cable out of the wall and broke it. Needless to say Brian got a not so nice phone call from me at work about his son. Brian of course was wonderful and when we got home he took over Caleb duties so I could have a break.
And Brian fixed the cable outlet! Imagine how tough it would be without t.v. We enjoy vegging when Caleb is in bed at night :) On Wednesday Caleb got sick all over himself, me, and the floor. I think he picked up the bug from the playgroup on Monday. So we stayed at home all day.
Wednesday night we got a text from our Thursday playdate saying that they were sick so they could not make it Thursday. So Thursday we checked out the mall in the next suburb over. That evening I picked up Caleb's bug and got sick.
On Friday, Brian woke up sick with the bug. So he called out of work and I tried my best to look after Caleb while still trying to recuperate. By the evening I was feeling much better so I went to Romeo and Juliet the ballet with our sponsor's wife. It was really good and I am really glad I went. I did not feel 100%, but it was nice to get out of the house and away from the baby.
Today we decided to take it easy since we have a rough few days. So Brian took Caleb for a walk to the park and I went shopping for the birthday parties we are going to tomorrow and Monday.
Tomorrow we are trying out another Baptist church in the suburb over from us. Last week we also tried out a Baptist church to the south of us. It was ok. It was in a gym of a school and the heat did not work well, so it was very cold. Also their version of childcare was toys in the back of the gym, Caleb liked running up and down the gym instead, and he does not run quietly (for some reasons he seems to hum as he runs!). They had morning tea after church like all the other churches, so that was nice, and again all the people were very friendly. We will see how the church is tomorrow. Then we are going to a birthday party for a child of a coworker of Brian's. I made chocolate chip cookies to bring for the first time here. They turned out ok.
Monday we have a birthday party for some of the kids from the Monday playgroup. It is at a petting farm, so that should be fun.

Some good things did come out of this week:
Like I said earlier I tried roasting pork for the first time and it was very tasty!
The mall we checked out has the body shop, so I got new body butter :)
We went to the DMV on Thursday and got driver's licenses, and it was a very painless process.
I finally figured out my coffee order! Coffee terminology is different here, so my order is flat white, 2. (coffee with steamed milk and 2 sugars) It took me a month to figure it out!

Ok, so on to the political elections I said I would talk about. The election is at the end of the month. It was only announced right after we arrived, like 3 weeks ago. I don't understand why it is not a normal set date. Maybe it was because the former prime minister resigned recently. So the big race of course is for prime minister. Right from the start the news starts showing pictures of the 2 main candidate holding and kissing babies. I guess that does not change country to country. It is the labor party (incumbent) running against the conservative party. There is also the green party and one other lesser party so coalitions get formed. The negative t.v. ads against the conservative party started last week and they are hilarious! My favorite is one that show families frowning, children losing computers, and patients dieing in hospitals. There are negative ads about the labor party too. There was a big debate about 2 weeks ago, but it had to be pushed up because the finale of Master Chef (like Top Chef in the U.S) was the same night and they knew no one would watch the debate! The Master Chef finale got 45 million viewers the most in t.v. history here (it was on basic t.v, not cable)! We of course watched the finale and not the debate. But can you imagine the U.S. changing the time of a presidential debate for a reality show? They would run the debate over it!

I cannot believe we have been here a month now! We are praying that this week is better than last. Besides the birthday parties it is looking like a normal week (hopefully!).

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear you had such a crap week - hope everyone is feeling better and that this Monday is off to a good start. I LOVE your bit about the politics - so true about running the debate over any tv show if it were here. The mental image of children losing computers in a commercial made me laugh outloud! Miss you! Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete