Sunday, August 1, 2010

Settling in - sorry not the most exciting blog update!

I was able to fill the week! It was a busy week but I feel good about it. Here it goes:
On Monday I tried the embassy playgroup. It is at the same cottage as the other playdate. I learned about it through the CLO at the embassy. When I arrived there was an Aussie mum and an American mom. Well it turned out to be almost all Aussies, it did not really matter to me, but I was hoping to meet moms from the embassy. So there are only 2 embassy moms and one is moving in October. The other is nice but when I asked her if she had gotten to know any of the other embassy moms, she said she had not met any. So, I guess I won't really have American friends here. No worries :) The playgroup was huge, I think 7 other moms so Caleb was a bit overwhelmed.
On Tuesday we went to the zoo. Caleb was most excited because he did not have to be in the stroller since it was not crowded. He loved running ahead of us and climbing on the rocks. He did not really care about the animals at all. Although he did laugh at the lemurs. We went with Pattie and Amanda, our sponsor's wife and daughter. She mentioned she wants to do something this week too. So hopefully that can become a weekly thing.
Wednesday we tried out the library story time. Basically it was a disaster. Caleb did not care about the story, he just played with the toys they had out. So, I don't think we will do that again.
On Thursday we had our playdate with the Aussie mum and bub from last week. Caleb and the bub actually play really well together and the mum and I get along well too. She is even going to look after Caleb for me while I go to a lecture at the library about communicating with 1 year olds. Maybe they will teach me how to understand Caleb better.
Friday was the most boring. I had to take the car into the shop to get road tested. When cars are over 7 years old here you have to have them tested yearly. So picture Caleb and I in a tire store for 1 1/2 hours. Not too fun. But our modem for the internet came and I got that set up. It worked really well Friday, but would not even turn on Saturday. So I am back on the broadband modem until they send a new modem.
This weekend was a bust weather wise. Yesterday we went grocery shopping and today we went to church. (I know you are all jealous of our fun weekend!) We tried the Presbyterian today. It was held in an elementary school. The people were really friendly and we were immediately pointed out as visitors. Last week we went to the Baptist church. Again people were friendly. The issue that we are having is that there is no real childcare during service. Most people here think that the children should be in the service. Caleb is not quiet nor still and therefore I spend the service outside with him. We are going to keep looking and hopefully we will be able to find a church home here.
Unfortunately I don't have any funny or interesting stories from the week. I am still trying to live day to day here. The homesickness really hit me hard last weekend. But no huge breakdowns like last week. One thing that helped is Caleb has finally gone back to his old napping habits. For the 1st week and a half he was only napping 1 1/2 hours, his bottom molars are coming in. But this week he went back to 3 hours. I really need that time to myself.
I did realize I have not updated you all on Brian. He is really busy at work, the person he replaced left in April. So there is quite a lot of work for him to do. Besides that, he has adjusted much better than I have and seems to be enjoying it here!
We love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment